Basic Job Info
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Performs all necessary detailed work servicing, adjusting, replacing, repairing, and maintaining heating plants, boilers, and water heaters and inspection services. The nature of work will require employees to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in the performance of assigned tasks. May be required to work flexible hours. Responds to emergency situations including nights, weekends and holidays. This position is considered essential personnel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Troubleshoots, tests, repairs, maintains or modifies heating systems and equipment including any parts of boilers, water heaters, but not limited to, valves, gas pressure, regulators, expansion tanks, compressors, pumps, motors, breaker switches, piping, tubing, 3-phase motors, condensate tanks, oil lines, feed water systems, safeties, burners, hot water, steam, electrical, mechanical and control components.
2. Services, adjusts, and places commercial boilers in operation by trouble shooting and calibrating using a digital combustion analyzer as well as checks gauges and instruments to maintain proper operating specifications and establishes preventive maintenance schedules and standards.
3. Cleans and removes soot, debris from interior of boilers, tubes breeching plates, fire boxes, chimney bases by scrubbing, scrapping with brushes, scrappers, shovels, vacuums or other equipment.
4. Prepares for and inspects commercial HVAC equipment to determine operating efficiency.
5. Adjusts, repairs, cleans or overhauls all safety components such as operating limit, high limit, UV scanner, low water cut off, secondary low water cut off, and pressure relief valve mud drums and other operational parts.
6. Inspects and services central heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems to determine operating efficiency of equipment.
7. Adjusts, repairs or overhauls such parts as reciprocating compressors, centrifugal pumps, water pumps, generators, and louvers, dampers, filters, pneumatic electric and electric controls, blowers, solenoids and thermostats, humidistats, and registers.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate.
• Vocational education is preferred.
• Three (3) years of plant equipment operation experience; Or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities deemed sufficient to prepare the applicant to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to read blueprints, schematic drawings or sketches to determine location, size, capacity, and type of boiler, component or unit.
• Ability to be accurate and detailed.
• Good mechanical aptitude.
• Ability to work shift work, scheduled extended hours and/or respond to emergencies outside of normal working hours and holidays as necessary.
• Ability to employ business technology tools (e.g. E-mail, AACPS Intranet, electronic benefits enrollment tool, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.).
• Must provide personal hand tools.
• Satisfactory score on any test required.
• Possession of a valid Maryland or state of legal residence Class C license, plus proof of a good driving record, and daily access to reliable transportation.
• Possess and maintain Apprentice HVAC or Plumbing license.
• Possession of CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications that meet OSHA's guidelines or successfully obtain CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications within ninety (90) days of appointment.
• Successful completion of an AACPS provided or approved Confined Space Entry Training Session or the ability to complete this training within ninety (90) days of appointment.
Career Ladder Requirements
• Ability to perform extensive walking, standing, carrying, climbing, bending, stooping, crawling, kneeling and lifting, and the ability to exert force required to twist/turn equipment tools required to perform assigned tasks.
• Ability to move, and position self to move in, under, over or through equipment, and work in confined spaces.
• Ability to ascend and descend a 40’ vertical ladder, aerial lift, scaffolding, bucket truck, and stepladder.
• Ability to move a minimum of eighty (80) pounds.
• Assignments may involve some exposure to dust, dirt, chemical solutions/solvents/odors, minor injury, hazards and adverse weather conditions.
• The employee is required to use safety devices and protective equipment in order to minimize the frequency and severity of work-related accidents.
• Adheres to safe practices and methods in the operation of equipment and supplies related to the duties of the job.
• The employee is responsible for correcting and/or reporting any conditions within an AACPS building or grounds that may be hazardous to employees and students.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Annapolis.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process