About WSP USA
WSP USA, formerly WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms—WSP. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 7,000 people in 100 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. wsp.com.
WSP USA is seeking a highly energetic, self-motivated, and goal oriented Lead Architect for the Transportation Facilities Group in the New York office. With the intimacy of a small group of staff, along with the support of a large firm, this is an excellent and unique opportunity for the right candidate to challenge themselves and to grow their career.
The Transportation Facilities Group (TFG) leads and design projects that supports local and regional growth initiatives through small and large transportation projects. Our goal is to team with our agency clients and to develop solutions to the complex challenge of advancing transportation throughout the region. TFG has over 60 engineers and architects throughout the Northeast Region, with major design hubs located in New York City, Boston, St Louis and San Francisco.
The Lead Architect will manage design tasks for wide array of projects in the transportation field. Responsibilities include client meetings, project coordination, staff management, and contract document development. Growth opportunities include project management, proposal development, and client presentations. It is advantageous for the candidate to have past successful transportation facility related experience with NYCT, MNR, LIRR, SCA, PANYNJ, Amtrak and/or other transportation or agency related clients. Typical projects include bus and stations, airports, maintenance facilities, parking structures, administration buildings, etc.
Typical projects types include:
- Leading design teams, discipline coordination, review of architectural designs and code compliance, and overseeing the development of construction documents, including specifications for renovations and new construction of transportation type facilities
- The candidate must be a Registered Architect and must possess solid understanding of current architectural tools such as AutoCAD, BIM / Revit 3D modeling, SketchUp, Adobe Photoshop, and Rhino, as well as MS Office Suite
Growth Opportunities include:
- Transportation segments include rail, bus, airports and marine ports; Facility building types include administration buildings, tolling structures, parking structures, bus and rail stations including associated maintenance facilities, ancillary buildings, vent buildings, etc.;
- Pre-K through higher education school buildings;
- Low rise office buildings as well as office fit outs;
- Resiliency related studies and design;
- Parks and recreation centers.
- Develop into the senior architectural role or deputy project manager role;
- Assist on the development of the proposals and various client pursuits;
- Become the contact/liaison for various clients;
- Work on high profile type projects including direct interaction with clients;
WSP is looking for candidates with excellent oral and written communication skills that have the ability handle varied projects across varied disciplines, and are looking for personal and professional growth opportunities. The candidate must have a minimum of 8 years of architectural experience and be capable of effectively leading tasks and staff. Detailed experience related to architectural building design and construction support services is required.
- BA in Architecture
- 8+ years of experience
- Strong knowledge of local clients and/or agency work (LIRR, MNR, PANYNJ, NYCT, NYC SCA, Amtrak, ConEd, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of construction drawing standards and building codes
- Transit architecture related experience is a strong plus
- Solid understanding of architectural tools (AutoCAD, REVIT, SketchUp, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Excellent communication and writing skills, attention to detail and highly organized.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and able to multi-task.
- Registered Architect in N.Y. State; NCARB certified a plus
- NY/NJ/Connecticut area resident preferred
EOE / Veteran/ Disability/ Gender (M-F)/Gender Identity/ Sexual Orientation
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in New York.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process