Harlem Children’s Zone is currently hiring Promise Academy staff for the 2020-21 school year.
If you are a teacher, teaching assistant or teaching fellow dedicated to making a difference in children’s lives, Promise Academy is right for you. HCZ educators have a unique opportunity to foster the growth of children from kindergarten to their walk across the graduation stage. Our children need you now more than ever.
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise.
To support our teachers, we provide them with bi-weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure the reach their full potential.
We are seeking a Middle School Math Teacher. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission and core values of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.Middle School Math Teacher Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Middle School Math Teacher Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning
- Ensure lessons are rigorous, clear, measurable, and aligned with Common Core State Standards
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g., exams, written work, and public performances) that frequently measure student progress toward the school’s content and skill standards
- Maintain an organized classroom environment that facilitates learning
- Ensure that students master grade-level standards
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Work with teaching assistants and/or teaching fellows to provide an effective classroom environment and address the needs of individual students
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season – additional compensation provided
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 – 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification for grades 7-12 in Mathematics or General Education 1-6 is required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer highly competitive salaries with generous performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in New York.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process