Basic Job Info
Responsible for overall refinery emergency response and back up for security services and provides leadership and direction to the members of the fire department. Supervises two or more full time employees at the site. Ensures that Total Safety site operations
are performed and supervised in accordance with the Customer’s requirements and the Company’s programs, policies, and procedures. Ensures that effective customer communication is maintained in order to efficiently define and schedule work.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Develops and implements emergency response programs to ensure preparedness of the facility in the event of an emergency including identification of requirements and developing implementation plans and training requirements
• Ensures Citgo meets all regulatory requirements in an Emergency Response
• Seeks out opportunities to identify and implement 'best practices' in the areas of Emergency Response
• Ensures emergency response and plant protection systems are inspected and maintained
• Executes actions of the Emergency Response personnel and acts as on-scene incident commander during emergencies
• Partakes in investigations and critiques of facility emergency response immediately following an incident
• Reviews and implements proposed regulatory requirements in order to ensure the refinery is compliant with local, state, and federal standards
• Oversees all maintenance inspection guidelines and functionality of all emergency response and plant protection systems
• Communicates with Local Emergency Planning committees and local law enforcement agencies to maintain their support and guarantee all are working in the best interest of the company
• Coordinates and leads Emergency Response Technicians and members of the Emergency Response Brigade
• Special assignments or tasks assigned to the employee by their supervisor, as determined from time to time in their sole and complete discretion
Experience: A minimum of 10 years of experience in Refinery operation, Health & Safety, or industrial firefighting service is required.
Education Level: A minimum of a High School Diploma is required.
Preferred Education: A Bachelor’s Degree in Health & Safety disciplines is preferred.
• Incident Command – minimum 16 hours
• Advanced Pump and Hydraulics or Fire Truck Pump Operations – minimum 32 hours
• Fire Fighting (examples: Industrial, Marine, Offensive Petrochemical Fire Fighting, Defensive Petrochemical Fire Fighting) – minimum 100 hours
• Confined Space/Structural Rescue – minimum 40 hours
Required Skills: Effective interpersonal and ability to effectively communication with others, both written and verbal communication; advanced reading and writing skills, with the ability to perform intermediate mathematical calculations. Expert in Plant Protection
Disciplines (fire/hazardous materials/industrial firefighting/incident command). A strong “Command Presence” with proficiency and confidence in Industrial Firefighting, Confined Space and Structural Rescue. Willingness to take initiative and be decisive in
matters regarding Emergency Response. Strong leadership skills; ability to work with hourly employees, and manage matrix organizations.
Interpersonal Communications: Ensures that business initiatives and goals are effectively communicated to employees as appropriate. Demonstrates objective listening on a consistent basis and creates and maintains an environment that encourages open communication.
Promotes respect within and outside the work group, teaches and encourages collaborative problem solving and effective working relationships. Maintains appropriate confidences. Coaches and counsels assigned staff to adhere to values, policies and standards
and to improve safety, quality and process reliability in a cost effective manner. Constant contact with customers, operations, sales and other internal TS staff to furnish and obtain information and resolve issues. Must be responsive and at times persuasive
with internal and external contacts.
Job conditions require standing, walking, sitting, twisting, stooping, crouching, kneeling, talking or hearing, making visual inspections, making precise hand and finger movements, reaching or grasping, lifting and/or carrying up to 50lbs, pushing and/or pulling
up to 50lbs, climbing up to 200 ft, ability to operate and drive all assigned company vehicles at company standard insurance rates is essential, valid state driver’s license and proof of insurance, perceiving color differences, wearing personal protective
equipment (beards not permitted), and strenuous physical activity.
Office based with up to 15% travel by land and air required. Petroleum refinery and out-of-doors environment based including but not limited to chemicals, pressure vessels, tanks, rotating equipment, exposure to the risk of electrical shock, and working in
confined spaces. Subject to all temperatures, weather, and varying road conditions. May be exposed to life threatening situations, explosions and chemical spills.
Nature of Supervisory Responsibility: Oversees day-to-day operations. Initiates and communicates personnel actions (hire, fire, job / salary changes, performance, disciplinary actions, etc.
Complexity of Duties and Decisions: Must be prepared to handle a variety of situations in changing environments. Plans and carries out the project objectives, resolves most of the conflicts, coordinates work with others and interprets policy on own initiative.
Must identify source of problems and present well thought out, workable solutions.
Authority: Typically works with limited supervision. Objectives, priorities and deadlines are defined. In consultation with manager, develops deadlines, projects, and work to be done. Assistance is given with unusual situations that do not have clear objectives.
Plans and carries out successive steps and resolves problems and deviations in accordance with instructions, policies, and accepted practices.
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.
Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process